In November 2010, the Northwestern High School Choir created a non-profit division of their operations, whose duties would be to provide financial, operational, and managerial support to the Choir. The non-profit incorporation, called Friends of the Northwestern Choral Society of Hyattsville MD, Inc. (FNCS), became a legal entity in February 2011. In July 2013, the FNCS became a legal 501(c)(3) tax exempt non-profit incorporation. The organization consists of a seven member Board of Advisors who are responsible for managing the FNCS. There is also a four member Executive Committee responsible for the management of the business affairs of the FNCS. The FNCS is funded primarily through memberships, corporate and private donors, and sponsorships.
The Friends of the Northwestern Choral Society (FNCS) are dedicated to providing operational and managerial support, to the Northwestern High School Choir, which is a vocal music program based at Northwestern High School in Hyattsville, Maryland.
The vision of the organization is to promote musical excellence and the advancement of the associated choral music program of the Northwestern High School Choir—through a thriving music enrichment program—aimed at providing every choir member a world-class choral music education through extensive training and performance opportunities:
FNCS hopes to achieve these goals by:
- Fundraising to cover the Choirs' cost of travel expenses, learning materials, ensemble uniforms, and other associated financial expenses;
- Broadening local, national, and international awareness of the Northwestern High School Choir;
- Establishing meaningful and beneficial partnerships that further aid the choirs’ educational goals;
- Cultivating skills in choral music singing;
- Providing opportunities for self-expression; and
- Providing scholarships for graduating Choir members who plan on continuing their education at a four-year institution.
Translate This Page
The Northwestern High School Choir is comprised of two performing ensembles with students in Grades 9-12, which includes our auditioned performing/traveling choir, the Visual and Performing Arts Choir, and our main Concert Choir. The Friends of the Northwestern Choral Society (FNCS) is a U.S. registered 501(c)(3) non-profit division of our vocal music program, which serves to provide financial and operational support to the Choir.